Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I got offered the job

For the place that I interviewed.

They want to hire me at $15.57 an hour.

The Houston average is $16.01.

I make $18.00 an hour.

I just added up my gas purchases this year alone, at $700, and that is not including the tollway fees.

New job is just a couple ( and I mean less than 10) miles from my house. It is approximately 2 miles from Doodlebugs school.

Current job is 33 miles from my house, which is at least an hour both directions in traffic. . .

This is a hard decision...

If anyone out there is reading this with sound advice, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME!!!!!

The lady said she would pitch it again to her people.....

And that I should crunch some numbers, so I did.

Currently at $18.....is $37,440.

at $17...... would be $35,360

at $16.50...would be $34,320

at $16.00...would be $33,280

at $15.57....would be $32,385


if gas continued the way it is....I would be paying approximately $3000 a year in gas. And I have already paid almost $200 this year in toll fees....



WHAT WOULD YOU ASK FOR????



Well I got a call back the a.m. and now she is offering me a $1500.00 sign on bonus that would be available to me 90 days after employment.

I think I am going to call her back, and say $16 per hr...plus the sign on bonus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would take into account the reduced travel time and gas expense plus the reduced tolls. I would also ask when your 1st opportunity for a raise is, do they have a bonus structure? Is the job more stressful or less than what you are currently doing? Since you now own a home, I would look at your taxes again so that you can see if you can increase your dependants due to the increase deductions you can now take and then increase your take home pay to see if that will hopefully cover the decrease. You can also ask them to meet you in the middle, give you more time off, and other benefits you would like or need instead of money.

Anonymous said...

Go for 16.50 and settle for 16 and the sign on bonus.